Posted in All About Self Control

Release the Peeves 1.3

Good Morning Most Awesome and Wonderful World Changers! We’ve been talking about letting go of our “pet peeves”. Which really just something we use as a means to control others and an excuse to get angry. So this week we’re learning some steps to let them go. As teachers, we really have to work hard to release our peeves. But it makes the difference in classroom full of peace or a classroom full or anger. You choose. Anger begets more anger!

Step 3: Ignore The “pet peeve” behavior. What we give our attention to, is what comes to us on a continuous basis. Therefore it is a good choice to ignore the behavior that makes you the angriest. Through my 17+ years of teaching experience, I’ve noticed that once children realize they can get under your skin, they will seemingly do it more and more. So years ago when learned this trick, it did wonders in my classroom. “ Now I must say I’m still not all the way there. I can ignore about 70%, the other 30% . . . Get ready to meet the angry 😡 Mr. Demby”. The point is, I’m still working on it.

1. Stop focusing on the person doing the wrong thing. Don’t even acknowledge them or they’re behavior.

2. Think of ways to focus on the right behaviors. Don’t even say, “I like the way . . . Is sitting” or something like that. Just totally start talking to your students about the lesson or a current event.

3. Breathe as you will need it. Because as you ignore, the behavior will probably become more intense in order to get your attention. Turn on a video or have the children read a book, if you need to step away.

4. Make the right choice to stay the course. Don’t give in to the old angry you. Stay cool 😎, calm, and collected!

Try this relaxation video.

Daily Affirmations: Today is a Wonderful day! I am at peace. My happiness is bubbling over from within. I have so many reasons to rejoice. I love and approve of myself this very moment. I release all of my pet peeves. I am healthy, wealthy,whole, and complete. ALL IS WELL IN MY CLASSROOM. ALL IS WELL IN MY SCHOOL. ALL IS WELL IN MY WORLD. ALL IS WELL AND I AM SAFE. #IBlessMyWorldWithLove

Posted in All About Self Control

Release the Peeves 1.2

Good Morning Most Awesome and Wonderful World Changers! I’m going to continue talking about these “pet peeves” that rule our beliefs and behaviors. As a teacher, we have to learn to let it go. The classroom is the place for mistakes and learning. Through those mistakes we find teachable moments. That’s true teaching, when every experience turns into an opportunity to learn and grow! That’s the type of teacher I aspire to be.

Step 2: Stop yourself. When we are learning to release the peeves, you are going have internal battles. The old you will be begging to come out. “ Let me yell at them, they’ll get right!” While the new you is saying, “ Let’s give them room for mistakes and learning.” Personally, sometimes the old me wins out. In those times I have to stop myself before the situation escalates any further. Teachers many times it’s us that escalate the students not the other way around. You can almost see the life drain from the children when they are yelled at. So only you can stop yourself.

1. Stop in mid-sentence if you have to

2. Think of a way help the children understand that this is something you’re wrestling with

3. Breathe in and breathe out. Give yourself time to calm down. Put on a short video or story for the kids to watch, while you calm yourself

4. Make the right choice to use every moment as a teachable moment for you and the students. Don’t escalate a small mistake into a big blowup.

Everyone has to be able to Stop, Think, and Breathe and Make the Right Choice for themselves.

Daily Affirmations: Today is a Totally Terrific day. I choose to move forward with joy and ease. I live in a safe a secure world. It is safe to let the people around me make and learn from their mistakes. I release the need to control their lives. I love and approve of myself exactly as I am right now. I am healthy, wealthy, whole, and complete. ALL IS WELL IN MY CLASSROOM. ALL IS WELL IN MY SCHOOL. ALL IS WELL IN MY WORLD. ALL IS WELL AND I AM SAFE. #IBlessMyWorldWithLove